Lent has been and gone – it meant something different to each of us. For some it’s the chocolate and the Easter eggs. For Christians there is the religious importance and the celebration of new life. For believers and non-believers perhaps lent was a time for fasting or abstinence. I love this time of year – a period of spiritual preparation, reflection and growth. Rather than giving up something for lent I chose to commit to something to promote my wellbeing.
For someone who works in wellbeing there are still times when it takes extra commitment and focus to “practice what I preach”. The internet is saturated with the prominence of young beautiful bloggers displaying zen-like lifestyles. Keeping it real, we are all offered choice and for all of us it comes down to the commitment of establishing healthy habits.
The last 5 weeks saw me really focusing on my water drinking and committing to my daily intake. This was inspired by wanting more energy and the performance and productivity coach we partner with, Abi Ireland.
Our body composition is made up of 60% of water so it makes sense to keep it constantly replenished. We should aim to drink about eight glasses a day – this is a general guide and will need to be varied in accordance to physical exercise, climate etc.
Some of the notable changes I experienced:
- Increased energy
- Clear skin
- Mental clarity
- I shifted a couple of kilos
These changes are not surprising since the biological evidence shows high levels of hydration:
- Boosts metabolism, facilitating digestion and the transport of nutrients
- It helps thin the blood reducing the risk of stroke and heart attack
- Improves brain functioning enabling you to concentrate and feel less fatigued
- Lubricates joints and keeps muscles moving
- Ensures functioning of the kidneys, flushing out toxins
- Keeps craving and snacking at bay
- Helps protect against premature skin ageing
- Boosts your immune system
How about you? Is this something you would consider?
Some tips to set you up:
- Try lacing your water with a combination fresh lemon, lime, mint or cucumber
- Carry a water bottle with you at all times
- Drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up
Looking forward I am definitely going to keep this up!
To learn more about Hydration Management please get in touch.