Mental Health First Aid
Why Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid is fast being given the same emphasis as Physical First Aid in the workplace.
The cost to businesses is not just financial but if left untreated, mental ill health can affect relationships with colleagues, friends and family and ultimately quality of life.
“Just as a physical first aider might know how to use CPR to save a life or put someone in the recovery position, a mental health first aider uses a set of skills to guide a person who is struggling or in crisis to a place of safety and support.” Simon Blake CEO, MHFA
WorkWise offers Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training. This is an internationally recognised course which teaches people how to recognise the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide help on a first aid basis. Adult MHFA courses are for everyone aged 16 upwards. Every course is delivered by a quality assured instructor accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health.
Mental ill health costs UK employers £34.9 billion each year, the equivalent of £1,300 for every employee in the UK workforce.
- 60% of UK employees have experienced a mental health issue due to work/where work was a contributing factor. So, what are the implications of this?
- In 2016 in the UK there were 15.8 million days of sickness absence caused by mental health issues (including stress, depression and anxiety).
- The cost of presenteeism (people coming to work and under-performing due to ill health) is £21.2 billion to the UK economy each year.
United States of America
Mental illnesses are among the most common health conditions in the United States.
- More than 50% will be diagnosed with a mental illness or disorder at some point in their lifetime.
- 1 in 5 Americans will experience a mental illness in a given year.
- 1 in 25 Americans lives with a serious mental illness, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or major depression.
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course which teaches people how to recognise the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide help on a first aid basis.
MHFA does not teach you to be a therapist, however just like physical first aid, it teaches you to listen, reassure, respond and signpost – even in a crisis.
Adult MHFA courses are for everyone aged 16 upwards. Every MHFA course is delivered by a quality assured instructor accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health, trained to keep people safe and supported while they learn.
By training your staff you’ll be joining a global movement of over 2.6million MHFA trained people in 25 countries around the world.
What will employees learn?
Our Two Day Mental Health First Aid Training course is a practical skills and awareness course designed to give you:
- A good understanding of mental health and contributors that can affect your and other people’s wellbeing
- Practical skills to recognise the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- How to start a supportive conversation with a colleague
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Interpersonal skills such as empathy and non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by signposting them to appropriate support
- Maintain confidentiality where appropriate
- Protect themselves while performing their role
Talk to us today about MHFA in your workplace.
We’re on a mission to reduce the stigma associated with Mental Health. We aim to do this by starting conversations, increasing awareness and offering Mental Health First Aid training. We will also empower individuals to recognise wellbeing choices and create healthy habits for a lifetime.
Work Wise promotes sustainable wellbeing initiatives within organisations and communities. We encourage increased productivity and enhance meaningful occupation and lifestyle through wellbeing awareness.